Every holiday season, my Grandma makes the same delicious meals. It is tradition after all. Every year, I drool over the smell of of her version of “Pigs in Blankets”. Don’t let them get confused with the hotdog/pancake imposters, but rather the zesty, hearty cabbage rolls made of magic and covered in Sauerkraut. Now, there is one giant problem for me. I don’t eat pork. Its like I am missing out on a pot of gold every year. So instead of stuffing myself with her traditional creamed potatoes and appetizers in regret of my no-pork diet, I took matters into my own hands to make a new version “Birds in Blankets”. Recipe Below of course.
Here is what I used:
1 lb of Italian Seasoned Ground Turkey
2 cups of Brown Rice
2 tbsp of seasonings (I used generic Italian, Garlic and Onion Powder)
1 Jar Homemade Sauerkraut (equivalent of 3 cans store bought)
1 Package of Italian Chicken Sausage (precooked)
1. Steam your Cabbage until soft and plyable (this may take a couple steams after the first few peels)
2. Peel into large petals and set aside
3. Mix ground turkey, rice, and seasonings together in a big bowl
4 Lay the cabbage out flat, and spoon 1/4 cup of the ground turkey mixture in the middle of the leaf
5. Roll the cabbage from the bottom and sides, and carefully place into a casserole dish
6. When the casserole dish is full (about 14 rolls), slice your sausages in half, line the edge of the dish
7. Cover the entire dish with the Sauerkraut and cover with foil.
8. Heat the oven to 350 degrees and cook for 90 minutes.
9. Serve and Enjoy